Having a well decorated small rooftop container garden
would be an amazing hobby. It can provide us with fresh food, vegetable, fruits, flowers and eye-catching natural beauty. It also makes the environment cool and human friendly with its beauty and oxygen production capability. Rooftop Garden abates the possibility of stormwater runoff.
Heating and Air-conditioning are also reduced by it as it keeps the area soothing. Small terrace garden also makes an enjoyable outdoor space where your child can play with open heart! Moreover, it reduces the costs of food. Here’s an amazing guide that will help you brainstorming rooftop gardening ideas.
Starting with a small container
If you are an absolute newbie in gardening, you need to start it first. This doesn’t need a lot of money, hard labor or even equipment. Just a strong desire will turn your hobby to realization and inspire you to build own small rooftop garden.
- Find a container right now, it can be old or broken.
- Find a perfect sapling to plant.
- Fill up the container with prepared soil.
- Finally plant the sapling on container.
- Take care of it.
Just take the initiative, you may fail first time. Believe me, the experience of doing it is really amazing.
Plant Terrace Friendly Trees
This is really an important factor. All trees doesn’t really grow well on rooftop. You have to choose the perfect and ideal one which will produce something good. Vegetable, flowers and fruit trees mostly suit for the terrace garden. My first garden on rooftop was started by planting an small vegetable plant which was ultimately failed for unplanned soils. According my personal experience, I saw that Bitter melon, Snake gourd, Sponge gourd, Okra, Eggplant, Yardlong bean etc grow very well on rooftop. However, having a lot of experience, now I can suggest some vegetables and fruit plants which will do better on terrace.
Terrace Garden Friendly Vegetable
- Bitter Melon
- Snake Gourd
- Sponge Gourd
- Red Spinach
- Summer squash
- Chilies and Peppers
Rooftop Garden Friendly Fruits
- Nectarines and Peaches
- Watermelon – not a good idea to plant but proper plan can make good result.
- Oranges and Citruses
Flowers for Rooftop Garden
- Red or White Rose
- Portulaca grandiflora
- Daisy family
Preparing the Soil
The usual and traditional soil mixing doesn’t help on rooftop. You need to apply the scientific method to grow crops on rooftop. It is better to use Cacopeat rather than soil. However, if you are still lacking cacopeat, soil can be used with some modification. Here’s the trick:
- Use the loamy soil to prepare the mixing.
- Use dry cow dung keeping the proportion of soil:dung =1:2.
- Use Organic Fertilizer in the mixing.
- Always try to keep organic fertilizer and dung in higher ration than soil.
Selecting Right Container for Plants
Container size varies for different plants. For example, you don’t need a big drum to grow cucumber, chillies or cowpea. On the other hand, Apple, Banana or Papaya won’t grow in a small container. So, you need to pick the right container size for preferred plant that you want to grow.
Caring the Plants to Grow Crops
The plants on the rooftop need some special cares to provide their best outcome. You need to be so scientific and technical to grow food on rooftop. These need quality watering, fertilization and necessary treatment. The plants on rooftop need 3-4 times watering a day, but it is a little bit hard to do right? But, you can be a bit tricky here. Let me share a simple idea to do the best watering.
- You have unused bottles right? Pick one, and tie it at the top of a stick.
- Make 1-2 holes at the bottom of the bottle.
- Now, insert it in the soil of container so that little water can drop on the base or root of the plants.
Besides, you need to do regular fertilization as there is lack of minerals and nutrition for the plants in the container. You might thought of money for fertilizer, but it actually doesn’t need. Here’s some idea to do your best fertilization just by using some daily necessaries which sensibly doesn’t cost.
- We all eat vegetables? When cooking them, we usually have some trash of them, right? Just, keep them in a bucket and cover them with a few soil and water them for one or two week. They will convert in organic fertilizer and you can easily use them in your container garden.
- Dry cow dung can be the best solution for fertilizer. These can be easily used to get the best result.
- Store the used tea leaves in box and dry them in the sun. These can also be a good fertilizer.
You will also need to look after the plants and take the necessary caring they need. Like,
- You will need to cut off the weeds regularly as they consume nutrition.
- Cutting the unwanted parts of the plant so that it can grow well.
- Looking after the trees if they have any symptoms of disease and caring them well.
- Giving them proper space to expand.
- And giving regular caring as they need.
If you would like a live project based rooftop garden video, then please watch the below video. It describes and shows the way how you can start a rooftop garden.
This is my short guide on starting a s rooftop garden with some basic ideas. Hope to share all my experiences through this blog which will help you doing rooftop gardening. Please share the article so that your friends may get helped!